WHAT IS BIRYANI?
Biryani is a complex rice dish. It is made with layers of curried meat and rice. Given its use of ornamentation and gorgeous finishes, it’s no surprise that biryani has roots in the Persian menu.
There are two main procedures of making biryani:
Kachi (raw) biryani, in which raw meat and parboiled rice cooked together, and
Pakki (cooked) biryani, cooked meat, and parboiled rice are steamed together.
In Pakistan, Pakki (or cooked) biryani is most familiar, with several outstanding varieties such as Sindhi, Karachi-style, and Bombay biryani. This recipe is an amalgamation of these styles and is identical to what you’d find at an ordinary Pakistani restaurant or dinner party.
- Oil/Ghee: oil/ghee for fluidity and taste.
- Onions: Chopped onions
- Bone-in, cut up, skinless chicken: Pre-cut up pieces of a whole chicken or bone-in chicken thighs.
- Whole spices: An acceptable amount of whole spices are a distinct characteristic of biryani.
- Garlic + Ginger: Paste of garlic and ginger.
- Tomatoes: Minimum amount of tomatoes because it already has lots of sour ingredients like yogurt, dried plums (Alu Bukhara), and lemon,
- Yogurt: 1 cup of yogurt
- Rice: Required amount of aged, long-grain basmati rice
- Dried Plums (Alu Bukhara): For sweet and tangy taste.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BIRYANI – 3 MAIN STEPS
I believe this recipe is as easy as a reliable biryani recipe can be – no excessive or tedious steps that don’t contribute to big flavor. It takes some static cooking time. And the end result is quite satisfying and exciting. To prepare chicken biryani, there are 3 main steps parts:
Prepare the chicken curry:
Marinate the chicken and prepare the biryani masala.
Cook the chicken curry. Prepare the rice while it’s cooking over low heat.
Take a silver pan with a wooden spoon to prepare the chicken curry for biryani.
- Parboil the rice:
Parboil the rice in a pot of boiling water. Drain and set aside.
Holding par-boiled rice for biryani on a bowl-shaped sieve
- Bring it all together for final steam (‘Dum‘):
Put all the chicken on Layer half of the rice, and then the remaining rice on top. Add the finishing touches. Grant the steam to develop, then lower the heat and let the flavors meld.
Pakistani biryani is very spicy and is generally made with biryani masala, or simply put, a collection of spices that come together to give it a specific, masaledar (or spice-laden) taste.
For the preparation of Biryani masala for this recipe, mix the following ingredients in a spice grinder and process until mostly smooth. Makes 2 tablespoon, which is the exact quantity you’ll need for this recipe.
- 1 medium dried bay leaf (tez patta)
- 2 dried red chili peppers (sukhi lal Mirch)
- 1 small whole mace (javetri)
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick (daarchini)
- 4-5 whole cloves (loung)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1-star anise (baadiyan)
- 3-4 green cardamom pods (elaichi)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds or black cumin seeds (shah jeera)
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns (Kali Mirch)
- 1/4 tsp fennel (saunf)
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)